ECPA Announces 2011 Christian Book Award Finalists
"This year’s pool of finalists includes a great mix of authors. It includes those who have enjoyed bestseller success and whose titles have earned Christian Book Award finalist and winner status for their ongoing literary contributions to our culture; along with a group of authors brand new to our list, but whose contributions are equally excellent and significant,” states Mark Kuyper, President & CEO of ECPA.
Max Lucado is the first author to appear on the Christian Book Award finalist list three times in the same year, all in different categories (Bibles, Inspiration and Non-Fiction). Since 1978, Lucado has earned 12 wins and 32 finalist placements in the Christian Book Award program.
This year’s list also features 17 authors who have made finalist standing for the first-time, including two first-time authors: Gina Holmes for Crossing Oceans (fiction, submitted by Tyndale House Publishers) and Mosab Hassan Yousef with Ron Brackin for Son of Hamas (non-fiction, also submitted by Tyndale House Publishers). While other authors appearing this year are not new to Christian Book Award finalist and winner accolades: Max Lucado, Joni Eareckson Tada, Hayley DiMarco, Joel Rosenberg, Lee Strobel, Vicki Courtney and Elizabeth George.
The 2011 Christian Book Awards finalists are:
· Apologetics Study Bible for Students, Sean McDowell, General Editor, B&H Publishing Group, 9781586404932
· ESV Seek and Find Bible, Crossway, 9781433521980
· HCSB Study Bible, Jeremy Royal Howard and Ed Blum, General Editors, B&H Publishing Group, 9781586405069
· The Case for Christ Study Bible, NIV, Lee Strobel, Zondervan, 9780310938941
· The Lucado Life Lessons Study Bible, NKJV, Max Lucado, Thomas Nelson, 9781418543969
Category: BIBLE REFERENCE
· A Visual Guide to Gospel Events, James C. Martin, John A. Beck, and David G. Hansen, Baker Books 9780801013119
· Crossway ESV Bible Atlas, John D. Currid and David P. Barrett, Crossway, 9781433501920
· The Story of the Bible, Larry Stone, Thomas Nelson, 9781595551191
· Zondervan Atlas of the Bible, Carl G. Rasmussen, Zondervan, 9780310270508
· Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, John H. Walton, General Editor, Zondervan, 9780310255727
· A Girl After God’s Own Heart, Elizabeth George, Harvest House Publishers, 9780736917681
· Asking For Trouble, Sandra Byrd, Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414325972
· Between God and Me, Vicki Courtney, B&H Publishing Group, 9780805449853
· The Action Bible, Sergio Cariello, Illustrator; Doug Mauss, General Editor, David C Cook, 9780781444996
· This Little Prayer of Mine, Anthony DeStefano, Mark Elliott, Illustrator, WaterBrook Multnomah 9780307458049
· Almost Heaven, Chris Fabry. Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414319575
· Crossing Oceans, Gina Holmes, Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414333052
· Petra, T.L. Higley, B&H Publishing Group, 9781433668562
· Secrets of Harmony Grove, Mindy Starns Clark, Harvest House Publishers, 9780736926256
· The Twelfth Imam, Joel C. Rosenberg, Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414311630
· Amish Proverbs, Suzanne Woods Fisher, Revell/ Baker Publishing Group, 9780800719531
· Life Saver - The Ultimate Devotional Handbook for Teens, Todd Hafer, Vicki Kuyper, Michael Klassen, Vicki Caruana, Outreach Publishing, 9781935541219
· Prayers For Those Who Grieve, Jill Kelly, Harvest House Publishers, 9780736929349
· Praying Through Your Pregnancy, Jennifer Polimino, Carolyn Warren, Regal Books, 9780830748082
· You Changed My Life, Max Lucado, Thomas Nelson, 9781404187832
· A Place of Healing, Joni Eareckson Tada, David C Cook, 9781434765321
· Bonhoeffer, Eric Metaxas, Thomas Nelson, 9781595551382
· God Girl, Hayley DiMarco, Revell/ Baker Publishing Group, 9780800719401
· Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make a Difference, Max Lucado, Thomas Nelson, 9780849920691
· Son of Hamas, Mosab Hassan Yousef with Ron Brackin, Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414333076
One title from each category will be chosen as the Christian Book Award winner. In addition, one title will be chosen among all the finalists to receive the highest honor of 2011 Christian Book of the Year. These winners will be announced at the upcoming ECPA Awards Banquet held May 2 in Colorado Springs in conjunction with the ECPA Executive Leadership Summit. For more information on the event, click here. ECPA is partnering with Christianity Today Inc. (CTi) to promote winning titles to its consumer base. ECPA has also confirmed support from national retail outlets to create in-store and consumer promotions to build awareness of the Christian Book Awards. They include Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, CBD / Christianbook.com, Berean, Family Christian Stores, LifeWay, Munce and the Parable stores.
"We trust that the recognition these titles will receive as "best of the year” – will honor these industry authors, whose standout contributions in Christian literature and study are profound and superior in quality,” states ECPA’s Kuyper. The Christian Book Awards, established in 1978 as the Gold Medallion Book Awards by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association, recognize the absolute highest quality in Christian books. Based on excellence in content, literary quality, design and impact, the Christian Book Awards are the oldest and among the most prestigious in the religious publishing industry.
For more information and to view each finalist, click here.
* Three non-fiction titles (Bonhoeffer, Outlive Your Life, Son of Hamas) and one fiction title (The Twelfth Imam) were featured on the New York Times bestseller list in the past year.
# # #
The Evangelical Christian Publishers Association (ECPA) is an international non-profit trade organization, comprised of nearly 150 member companies worldwide, representing a combined revenue of nearly $2 billion. Founded in 1974, ECPA is dedicated to serving the Christian publishing industry through equipping its members through cutting-edge technology, meaningful data, dynamic educational opportunity and unprecedented access to markets.