NEWLY FORMED ECHOLIGHT STUDIOS SETS 2012 SLATE OF FAITH/FAMILY FRIENDLY FILMS
DALLAS – June 21, 2012 – EchoLight Studios—a newly established producer and distributor of top quality faith-based and family films—has hit the ground running, announcing a slate of six films for release in 2012, a world premiere event in Hollywood and an aggressive plan to distribute its own productions starting next year.
“At EchoLight, we are taking films from concept to release and working with filmmakers to distribute their already-produced work,” said President Bobby Downes. “It’s a one-stop platform for quality filmmaking and faith-and-family content,” said CEO, Gen Fukunaga.
Downes, a filmmaker in his own right is no stranger to faith-friendly films having produced more than a dozen films, including LIKE DANDELION DUST starring Academy Award-winner Mira Sorvino and based on the book by New York Times best-selling author Karen Kingsbury. Downes founded ChristianCinema.com, a leading site that has grown since 1999 into the largest faith-based movie website in the world offering movie news, reviews, DVDs and rental.
SEEKING NEW FILMS AND FILM CONCEPTS
In addition to the six films scheduled for 2012 distribution, EchoLight is seeking new films to distribute and film concepts to develop in the faith-and-family arena. And the firm will participate in the full range of distribution channels worldwide.
“We have a full film distribution platform servicing theatrical, home video, digital/VOD, broadcast, publishing and merchandising in both U.S. domestic and international markets,” Downes said
WORLD-PREMIERE EVENT FOR CORBIN BERNSEN’S ‘25 HILL’
First up for EchoLight is a world-premiere event Saturday, June 23, in Hollywood to launch 25 HILL, the latest film from noted actor and filmmaker Corbin Bernsen (“L.A. Law,” “Psych”). The red carpet event takes place at the historic Egyptian Theater featuring a Soap Box Derby with more than 20 cars participating. 25 HILL tells the story of a young boy and an old man—both affected by tragedy—finding faith to go on as they ready a car for the All-American Soap Box Derby. It’s the first faith-friendly film to feature the renowned race.
“The All-American Soap Box Derby has affected generations of American kids and their families,” Bernsen said. “It’s as American as apple pie, baseball and the county fair. At a time when we’re intent on rebuilding our country, it’s great to celebrate a community event that starts at the family level, showcases our competitive spirit and speaks directly to children about the importance of our family traditions and history.”
The race at the premiere will take place on North McFadden Place, just a block off the famed Hollywood Boulevard.
SLATE OF SIX FILMS FOR 2012
In addition to 25 HILL, EchoLight’s 2012 distribution schedule features films ranging from gripping, true stories of faith tested by truly challenging circumstances to an original story of how a mysterious young boy brings hope to a struggling small town.
• 25 HILL – Directed by and starring Corbin Bernsen
• I AM . . . GABRIEL – Starring Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark”) and John Schneider (OCTOBER BABY, “The Dukes of Hazzard”)
• UNDAUNTED – The story of the early life of Josh McDowell, author of “Evidence That Demands a Verdict” and “More Than a Carpenter.”
• 3 DAY TEST – To draw his family closer, one man insists that for three days they completely disconnect from an overly-connected world. Starring Megyn Price (“Rules of Engagement”).
• 1 MESSAGE – A woman who has it all, loses it all when cancer strikes, but a new friend pulls her out of self-pity and shows her an empowering faith in the process. From director/producer Jefferson Moore, who directed and produced “The Perfect Stranger.”
• HEAVEN’S RAIN – Amazing true story of Brooks Douglass, a pastor’s son, whose parents are senselessly slain before his eyes, finding the strength through faith to forgive the murderers. Starring Mike Vogel (“Pan Am,” THE HELP) and Erin Chambers (“General Hospital”) and introducing Brooks Douglass, who plays the role of his father in the film.
AN ORIGINAL PRODUCTION FILMING NOW
On location from the New Mexico ranch that served as sets for numerous feature films such a 3:10 TO YUMA and COWBOYS & ALIENS, EchoLight Chief Global Strategist Christopher Morrow explains, “We just started filming this month our new feature project with the working title REDEMPTION, and we are already discussing the possibilities of creating an entire series.”
The film stars Erin Bethea, widely known for her leading role as Kirk Cameron’s wife in FIREPROOF, the No. 1 independent film of 2008, and Drew Waters from the hit TV series “Friday Night Lights.” The original western features an inspirational message about the power of forgiveness.